The Project: Mark and Michelle began planning their dream home that would have all the comforts they would want in a retirement home. Empty nesters, they were looking forward to relaxing with family and friends and spending time on their hobbies. After some looking they found a 1960s fixer-upper in North Dallas requiring top to bottom renovation. Among other concerns both Steve and Leslie wondered how they would implement all the technology they wanted into such an old house.
At the initial scope meeting, Michelle shared that her chief concern was home security. Both wanted seamless audio and solid Wi-Fi throughout the house and on the patio for entertaining. They also wanted the capability to be able to listen to different music in each zone and to eliminate cable television ('cut the cord") while still maintaining easy access to their favorite shows and the ability to watch and record local Television broadcasts. After several consultations and a detailed review of their house plans, eStream Digital designed a solution including a custom plan to upgrade all the low voltage wiring and install a Whole Home automation system that would meet their need for whole home audio, video, security, and Wi-Fi capabilities.
The End Result: eStream Digital installed the proposed system to meet their needs and their lifestyle. The installation and design included:
- Security - DSC alarm system package; (4) Luma Surveillance DVR (Digital Video Recorder) with (4) high definition cameras at each outside corner of the home.
- Home Automation: Control4 EA-3 Controller acting as the central brain to control and monitor security, Whole Home Audio, video, and garage door systems as well as remote access to check in on the house while at home or away.
- Whole Home Audio - Distributed audio for the Family Room, Master Bedroom and Patio with 4 zone Amplifier from Control4 with TruAudio Ghost in-ceiling speakers. Streaming music plays throughout the home with access to Pandora, Spotify, Tune-In Radio and other streaming music services. (Wiring is in place for future audio zones in the Master Bath, Guest and Craft Rooms.)
- DVR Experience - HD television local broadcasts available on TVs in the family Room, Master Bedroom and Workshop using TiVo Bolt 4k as a Whole Home Video Recording system with TIVo Minis at the secondary location. This along with the built in Netflix and additional Apps on their Apple TV eliminated their need for Cable or satellite.
- Infrastructure – All the equipment was installed neatly in a closet using a Strong FS series rack to allow for proper ventilation and serviceability of the equipment. We also installed a professional grade network from Araknis for secure and fast Internet and Wi-Fi thru the home.
As the wiring was done during renovation, the cost savings was passed on to the client. In addition, eStream Digital was able to eliminate cable entirely, saving the client additional monthly expense. The project came in under budget.